Virginia History Series
Historical Hall of Fame: William Stith (1707 – September 19, 1755) was a Rector of the early Henrico Parish and
wrote a History of colonial Virginia.
Stith is the author of one of the earliest histories of Virginia, The History of the First Discovery and Settlement of Virginia:
being an Essay towards a General History of this Colony, published in Williamsburg by William Parks in 1747.
He was also the
College of William & Mary's third president (1752–1755) and is the namesake for Stith Hall on the College's campus.
was the son of Captain John Stith and Mary Randolph, a daughter of William Randolph.
Around 1738, he married his first cousin,
Judith Randolph (1718-17_), the daughter of Col. Thomas Randolph of Tuckahoe and Judith Fleming who were married on Oct. 6, 1712.
They had three daughters: Judith (d. 1773), Elizabeth (who married Dr. William Pasteur of Williamsburg and d. 1792), and Mary (d.
Stith was educated at The College of William & Mary and The Queen's College, Oxford. Rev. William Stith was
the Rector of Henrico Parish.
The Henrico Parish-Glebe house at Varina Plantation was the location where rector Reverend Dr. James Blair drew up the plans for Wm
& Mary College that was built at Middle Plantation in 1693. The county seat remained at Varina until 1752, when it was relocated
to the new Henrico County Court House in Richmond.
Brunton Parish Church, 1768, at
College of Wm & Mary