Historical Hall of Fame: Ben C. McCary (1901-1995) was an archaeologist, college professor, and collector of Indian artifacts
from Virginia and throughout the United States.
Virginia History Series
Dr. Ben C. McCary was born in Alberene, Virginia on February 19, 1901. He passed away on Dec. 4, 1995.
Ben grew up in rural
Albemarle, attended Scottsville HS, and graduated from the University of Richmond. Thereafter, he became Principal of Critz
HS and later studied in France receiving a Doctorah d'Universite from the Univ. of Toulouse. Returing to the USA, he taught
at the Univ. of Richmond and in 1930 joined the faculty at William and Mary College where he remained for the next 40 years.
was a founding member of the Archaeological Society of Virginia and a longtime student of Virginia Indians, their history and the
tools they left behind. During his lifetime, Dr. McCary assembled one of the largest collections of Indian Relics in Virginia
and one of the largest collections of Clovis and Clovis-like points in America.
In 1980, he was elected to the Hall of Fame
of the Virginia Archeological Society. And, in 1990, Dr. McCary received the "Crabtree Award" from the Society of
American Archaeology in recognition of 50 years of dedicated service, research, and publication on the archaeology of Virginia
and the Paleo-Indian era in the Eastern United States.
Dr. McCary above right in academic garb
A survey of the occurrence of fluted points in Virginia, begun by Dr. McCary in 1947, led to his discovery of a Paleo-Indian
work-shop site in Dinwiddie County, Virginia, on the farm of J. S. and J. E. Williamson. The "Williamson" site lies on a broad flat
ridge and covers approximately fifty acres.
The collection of Indian Artifacts owned by the late archaeologist, Dr. Ben C. McCary, was the largest ever private collection
of Indian Artifacts from Virginia, with over 300 Clovis, Cumberland and Folsom Points.
Southern Indian Studies, Vol. 6 (1954)