Virginia History Series
Historical Hall of Fame: Colonel Howard A. MacCord (1915-2008) was the first State Archeologist of Virginia.
Howard MacCord served for many years as the Virginia State Archaeologist where he was involved in archaeological excavations throughout
the state. Upon his retirement as Chief Archaeologist, Colonel MacCord continued to promote archaeology and the benefits of archaeological
excavations through his active membership in ASV, COVA and many other organizations. [Mr. MacCord retired from the Army as a
colonel in 1962 and remained "Colonel MacCord" to most of his acquaintances.]
In 1966, Howard led the Archaeological Society
of Virginia sponsored excavation of an Indian village on the upper Gaston Lake of the Roanoke River (See clay pot below left).
May 1970, Howard MacCord led the excavation of the Wolf Creek Indian site. The construction of the interstate was stopped for a very
brief time to complete the dig. It was the first official state recognized archeology site (State # 44BD1) in Bland County and was
named for Brown Johnston who owned the farm the site was located on. The site gives a glimpse of a story of a people and their way
of life long ago and now features a reconstructed village and museum of Indian culture in SW Virginia.
Howard MacCord was President
of Eastern States Archaeology Federation from 1969-71 [During his tenure, a member from Ohio joined, and in 1972, the Kentucky
Archaeological Association was admitted to increase the membership to an all time high of twenty-seven states.]
Broaddus Flats 2004
President of Eastern States Archaeology Federation from
Museum at Wolf Creek
MacCord led a 1970 excavation at the Wolf Creek Indian Village in SW Virginia
Clay pot from a 1996 site on banks of the Roanoke River below